Railroads have played an important role in America’s history for nearly two centuries. From the earliest days of steam locomotives in the 1830s to ambitious future plans for innovative high-speed rail projects, trains have truly helped to build and unite America, forming a critical part of the country’s huge transportation network and making major contributions to the economy.
Today, the American rail industry is more vital than ever. Thanks to technological advances, infrastructure investments, and a stabilizing economic climate, the industry is creating thousands of jobs, enjoying surging revenues, and moving greater and greater amounts of goods and people more efficiently than ever before. Far from being just a part of history, railroads are now more clearly than ever an increasingly important part of America’s future.
Join longtime rail executive Clarence Gooden in exploring the fascinating and dynamic world of railroads. This blog offers a detailed look at railroads, from stories about the history of trains, to details about the current rail industry, to all kinds of facts that you might not know about trains. Visit the blog regularly to boost your train knowledge by learning about how railroads got started, where they are headed, and how they operate.
Clarence Gooden has been working in the rail industry for more than 40 years. Committed to growing and improving US rail transportation for industry professionals and consumers alike, Gooden currently serves as the executive vice president and chief commercial officer for CSX Corporation, one of America’s leading rail-based freight transportation companies. He is also a board member of the National Freight Transportation Association and the Federal Reserve Transportation Advisory Board, as well as a frequent public speaker at industry events.
- How can a transportation system shape history? - Transportation means have been the real pioneers of progress throughout the world and especially in the world’s most popular country, they have shaped development. WATER TRANSPORT In the early days of the United States, as the country grew in size and population, the need for an efficient transportation system that linked the cities of the […]
- History of trains in the UK - The UK marked an important milestone in the history of trains since it was Britain where the first steam locomotive was used. Initially the wooden wagons were horse-drawn on straight rails. The art of the rails was perfected as different systems were used in the years to come, until in 1820 John Birkenshaw implemented the […]
- The World’s Best Rail Journeys and the Most Fantastic Landscapes - Traveling by train is far from old fashioned. In a relaxation showdown amongst trains, planes, and automobiles, trains win as the most laidback style of travel, allowing you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the view. Luckily, some of the world’s most beautiful destinations are also home to the most scenic train rides. Besides this, […]
- THE GREATEST AMERICAN INVENTION OF THE 19TH CENTURY - The first transcontinental railroad in the United States is the name of a railway line through The United States that joined the city of Omaha (Nebraska) with Sacramento in the 1860s, linking this way the railway network on the East of the United States with California on the Pacific coast. It ended with the famous […]
- Getting to know more about trains - Some of the history about train transportation